Symantec endpoint protection is not updating
I have attached 2 pictures, one of the live update, and one of the status screen. It could also not be configured as a managed computer. No internal Live Update server for the laptops, and I have it setup as unmanaged so it will go to the internet for updates.
Here is a direct copy of what I get when Live Update is run : The following Symantec products and components are installed on your computer: Connected to Live Update server successfully.
I think the problem might be that the client package was configured to be unmanaged.
"Download Live Update Content" shows that Live Update starts, checks for updates and does/does not download them as appropriate. I haven't tried to download the definitions on any of the clients themselves as it kind of defeats the object of having a managed solution!
They call all ping the SEPM server but for some reason, some workstations are not getting the latest virus def. On the smc-server-0.log, I noticed a bunch of errors: SEVERE: Error while extracting full content under c:\program files\symantec\symantec endpoint protection manager\tomcat\..\inetpub\content\xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx\xxxxxxxx\Full What else can I check to see what's causing the communication problems?
The Live Update function appears to work and the home page of the Endpoint Protection Manager shows that the info is up to date.
The Clients appear in the client list and I can send instructions such as "Disable Network Threat Protection" to the client from the server and it works.
) are looking for them somewhere else, hence there never being any new updates!?I have reinstalled both manager and client, I have searched this forum and Google but have found nothing that helps!Other details, such as policy updates, enable/disable features, etc all work from the server to the client. I have tried installing symantec on 3 new windows 8 computers and had the same issue every time. Repair the SEPM with the original install file in SEPM folder (extract the Part1_Installation file and go to SEPM folder). I don't really have an answer to the problem but I decided to do one last uninstall and reinstall after lunch today. I'm not sure what to say, since nothing has changed. Rob Vargas just installing the Anti-virus with nothing else as an add on had the same results, it seems to be able to connect to the update servers but fails. After the repair finish just select reconfigure SEPM and use the default parameter. Go to Control Panel -- Searching the symantec site I found a thread with someone having the same issue with 12.1.1 Hoping it has something in it that will help.